- The new vehicles will replace the aging fleet of vehicles that have been in service since 1972
- The new vehicle can carry 13 embarked Marines plus a crew of three to operate it
- 16 wheel craft can 65mph on land and has a range of more than 325 miles
- In sea, the craft can reach 6 knots and travel 12 nautical miles
Wednesday, June 20, 2018
The U.S. Marine Corps has revealed a radical next generation armored amphibious vehicle designed to protect Marines in transit from sea to shore.
It awarded BAE Systems a lucrative contract to build the amphibious combat vehicle.
The new vehicles will replace the aging fleet of expensive-to-maintain flat-bottomed amphibious assault vehicles in service since 1972.
PLC a contract for wheeled amphibious combat vehicles (ACV) that transport Marines from ship to shore under hostile conditions, the defense contractor said on
A U.S. official and a person familiar with the decision earlier told Reuters that BAE had been awarded the deal.
The award is a blow to defense services company Science Applications International Corp (SAIC), which was competing to be lead contractor on the vehicle.
The Department of Defense estimated that procurement and maintenance of all 208 vehicles in the program will be about $6.2 billion over their lifetime.
SAIC said it was 'disappointed' that its vehicle was not selected.
The award for an initial batch of 30 vehicles shifts the program from the prototype and testing phase into low-rate production, which is scheduled to begin this year.
A recent report by the U.S. Government Accountability Office cautioned the Marine Corps from entering a second year of low-rate production until the contractor demonstrates the vehicles produced have consistently high quality manufacturing
The acquisition cost for the 208 vehicles is expected to total about $1.2 billion, sources said.
Costs per vehicle would ease in the early 2020's if the Marines elect to continue production past 208.
BAE Systems partnered with Italian company Iveco Defense Vehicles to build its ACV offering.
In 2011, the Marines started a competition for the next generation of ACVs.
The program will be a replacement for the tracked Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle (EVF) that was being developed for the Marines by General Dynamics Corp before its cancellation in 2011 following large cost increases and technical issues.
The Marine Corps spent $3.7 billion on development before canceling the EVF program.
Defence giant BAE Systems has struck a deal worth up to £1billion to sell amphibious tanks to the US Marines.
America is buying 30 of the tanks – designed to carry troops ashore – for £150million, with plans to buy a further 174 by 2020 for around £900million.
BAE and partner Iveco Defence Vehicles beat off competition from rival US tech firm Science Applications International Corporation.
Maintenance of all vehicles could be worth around £4.7billion over their lifetime, the US Department of Defence estimated. British defence firms have been expecting to benefit from a boost in US defence spending under President Donald Trump.
The contract is a boost to BAE after it announced plans to cut almost 2,000 UK jobs in aerospace and maritime last year amid a slump in orders.
The tank the US Marines are buying will replace models dating back to the Vietnam era.
They can each carry three crew and 13 Marines – and can run through nine-foot waves. Work on building the tanks will now take place at BAE’s plants in the US.
BAE boss Charles Woodburn welcomed the contract and said its US business is expected to double production of combat vehicles in the next three years.
Dean Medland, from BAE’s tanks division, said: ‘We are proud to continue our partnership with the Marine Corps.’
Posted by ASC at 6:37 PM
Is the San Andreas fault line at risk of the 'BIG ONE'? New-found 15 mile-long formation in the area could be ground zero for California's next massive earthquake
- Experts mapped the southern 20 miles of the 15 mile long fault zone to make the new discovery
- They found a highly faulted, never before seen area in the region called the Durmid ladder structure
- It is 0.6 to 2.5 miles wide and is found in the upper 1.8 to 3.1 miles of the ground
- Scientists say there's a 75% chance for a magnitude seven or larger event in California within 30 years
A tectonic time bomb that threatens to set off a huge earthquake under California could be triggered by a newly-discovered structure in the San Andreas fault.
Experts believe a newly-uncovered 15 mile (25km) long formation, dubbed the Durmid ladder structure, could be ground zero for the next major earthquake to hit the region, colloquially known as 'Big One'.
The discovery was made during an extensive geological study which examined the southern tip of the (1,300-km) long fault zone, which many believe will set off the next big earthquake.
Researchers have been warning that the state is overdue for a highly destructive earthquake since early last year.
A new study has also found that there's a 75 per cent chance for a magnitude seven or larger event in both northern and southern California within the next 30 years.
That's thanks to 'slow earthquakes' that pass unnoticed by people, but which experts say can trigger large destructive quakes in their surroundings.
Scientists from the Geological Society of America found the structure using detailed geologic and structural mapping of the southern 20 miles (30 km) of the San Andreas fault zone in southern California.
It was named the Durmid ladder structure because it is located in the Durmid Hill region, a highly-faulted area of rock that is 0.6 to 2.5 miles (one to four km) wide.
The Durmid ladder structure is found in the upper 1.8 to 3.1 miles (three to five km) of the ground and, as its name suggests, has a broken ladder-like pattern.
The structure extends from the well-known main line of the San Andreas fault on the northeast side, to a newly identified East Shoreline fault zone on the opposite edge.
Experts say that if seismic activity triggered the collapse of the Durmid ladder structure and the wider San Andreas Fault, the effects would likely be felt across a 15 square mile (40 sq km) area.
The exact effects are hard to predict, due to the unusual shape of the ladder, with fault lines extending both vertically and horizontally.
The strength of the earthquake would depend on whether the whole structure collapsed at once, or if each of the fault lines was triggered individually.
However, at its worse, the Durmid latter could result in a devastating magnitude 7.5 or stronger earthquake, researchers have forecast.
Writing in a paper on the findings, its authors said: 'The great width of the East Shoreline fault zone in Durmid Hill and the even larger width and spatial extent of the Durmid ladder structure imply that surface faulting hazards from a major earthquake rupture in this part of the San Andreas fault zone might be dispersed across a 15 square mile (40 sq km) area, if both master faults and the intervening cross faults are activated at once.
'If ladder-like strike-slip fault zone rupture in a piecemeal fashion they will have an especially unpredictable surface-faulting hazard.'
Fears of California's 'Big One' were stirred in May 2017, when an expert warned that a destructive earthquake will hit the state 'imminently'.
Seismologist Dr Lucy Jones, from the US Geological Survey, warned in a dramatic speech that people need to protect themselves, rather than ignore the threat.
Dr Jones said people's decision not to accept it will only mean more suffer as scientists warn the 'Big One' is now overdue to hit California.
In a keynote speech to a meeting of the Japan Geoscience Union and American Geophysical Union, Dr Jones warned the public is yet to accept the randomness of future earthquakes.
People should be preparing now, she warned.
Dr Jones and her team have published a scenario of a 7.8 earthquake on the San Andreas fault, which they predict could kill many people and devastate 15,000 buildings.
In 2011, a magnitude nine earthquake hit the east coast of Japan and killed some 20,000 people.
'The city leaders ignored protocol that said to move to higher ground and conducted their emergency meeting in the city hall', said Dr Jones.
'When the tsunami poured over the sea wall, they lost over 1,000 people, including most of their city government'.
The full findings of the latest study were published in the journal Lithosphere.
Posted by ASC at 1:10 PM