Researchers reveal the 'danger points' of the faults that could cause a MEGAQUAKE in the Pacific Plate
- Cascadia megathrust fault runs 600mi from Northern California to Vancouver
- Northern and southern sections are more seismically active than central section
- Researchers suspect buoyancy in some areas increases forces between plates
- This causes them to be more strongly coupled and thus more fully locked
Breakthrough in earthquake prediction as scientists find big quakes follow a 'silent slip'
- Researchers placed 55 seismometers along the ocean floor off the West Coast
- This allowed them to collect data on over 1,600 earthquakes along Blanco fault
- The team found shallow mantle creep and seismic swarms preceded big quakes
Cascadia and the ‘Really Big One’
So what exactly are these anomalies?
A general prediction for where, but not when
Why Australia needs to prepare for the worst: Expert's chilling 'perfect storm' tsunami warning with fears a monster earthquake could trigger waves big enough to level entire cities
- US expert said that Australia is not immune to the threat of tsunami waves
- The country could be impacted by a major event on Tonga-Kermadec Ridge
- The seismology researcher warns that NZ is at risk of being struck by a tsunami
- NZ situated close to significant geological fault lines which pose a constant risk
- Mr Crowell believes waves have a potential to reach several kilometres inland
- Effect of tsunami could be as bad as those seen in Japan and Indonesia
Here comes the big one: 'Megathrust' earthquake could strike at any time, triggering a massive tsunami and potentially levelling entire cities
- Earthquake along New Zealand's largest fault line is a question of 'when', not 'if'
- An event along Hikurangi subduction zone is more likely than previously thought
- The Hikurangi Response Plan is underway to prepare communities for the worst