PEOPLE AND PLACES

PEOPLE AND PLACES

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Fascinating photo series documents scenes from home windows in 27 countries from the USA to Portugal

 

 

 

 



MY WINDOW IN FRANCE

   

Fascinating photo series documents scenes from home windows in 27 countries from the USA to Portugal

  • Photo series The View From Here called upon people from around the world to photograph their daily view
  • Submissions were received from 27 countries and all included descriptions of how these scenes made them feel
  • In Lahore, Pakistan, a man dislikes his view, adding that he lives where he does because of a lack of other options
  • But, some, like a woman in Latvia, reveals that her breathtaking countryside views provide her with a sense of calm

Holiday brochures show one reality, but these fascinating images show another - the realities experienced by 41 people in 27 countries when they simply look out of their windows.

The pictures were taken for a unique new photo series called The View From Here, which asked people from destinations as varied as Lahore, Pakistan, and Utah in the United States, to photograph views from their homes and include descriptions about how the images make them feel.

Read on for the unique perspectives that people experience while simply gazing out their windows.

 

 

A woman from Ragaciems, Latvia, submitted this gorgeous, calming countryside view as part of the View From Here photo series.

In the evening, the calm is even more palpable as the sun sets near the Gulf of Riga.

‹ SLIDE ME ›

A woman from Ragaciems, Latvia, submitted this gorgeous, calming countryside view as part of the View From Here photo series

Ragaciems, Latvia

Situated along the beautiful Gulf of Riga, a woman called Janis wakes up each morning to a breathtaking view of the Latvian countryside.

'I live in a very small village next to the sea, there are only a few people left here,' she explained in her submission to Somfy, an American window and awning company.

'The streets are empty, it's very calm and quiet. My view is very lush, it’s as if the plants want to make up for the lost time in winter and autumn.

'It's quite windy and the only sound I can hear is the the trees swaying in the wind. I can smell the freshly cut grass from the lot next to me. My neighbour takes good care of it, as he wants to sell it; the land prices have been rising in the last few years.

'I feel very calm here, that is why I love it so much.'

 

 

 

Visitors enjoy the evening inside the "Augustiner" beer tent at the famous Bavarian Oktoberfest beer festival in Munich, Germany

12

Women wearing traditional Bavarian Dirndls pose with beer mugs during Oktoberfest in Munich, on September 27, 2012. Oktoberfest will run until October 7, 2012. (Christof Stache/AFP/Getty Images) #

13

Colored leaves hang from a cherry tree in Kassel, Germany, on October 2, 2012. (Uwe Zucchi/AFP/Getty Images) #

Bavarian farmers transport their cows on a boat over the picturesque Lake Koenigssee at dusk, on October 3, 2012. Before the winter season approaches the farmers have to drive their cattle down from their Alpine meadows to a narrow valley that can only be reached by boat. (Reuters/Michael Dalder)

Children sit on top of a police vehicle as they watch a fireworks display as part of China's Mid-Autumn festival in Shanghai, on October 3, 2012. (Reuters/Carlos Barria)

Starlings gather on a high voltage electric wire prior to their seasonal migration in Strazeele, northern France, on October 1, 2012. (Philippe Huguen/AFP/Getty Images)

A couple enjoy sunny autumn day in the Tsaritsino estate in southern of Moscow, Russia, on September 19, 2012. (AP Photo/Mikhail Metzel)

18

Fall foliage begins to appear in the White Mountain National Forest, on September 28, 2012 in Jefferson, New Hampshire. (AP Photo/Jim Cole) #

 

 

 

Bucharest, Romania

In the Eastern European capital of Bucharest, a man called Cristian admits that spring and summer are the optimal times to live in his neighbourhood of concrete apartment blocks.

He also reveals that the evening is the best time to enjoy the view, especially in June when the Linden trees are in bloom.

‹ SLIDE ME ›

In the Eastern European capital of Bucharest, a man called Cristian admits that spring and summer are the optimal times to live in his neighbourhood of concrete apartment blocks

Several countries away, in the Eastern European city of Bucharest, a man called Cristian has photographed his neighbourhood, where the best view can be seen during the month of June.

'During spring and summer, the green of the trees breaks up the uniform pattern of the concrete apartment blocks,' he revealed.

'From 6am to 8am, time slows down, there's little traffic and the cool morning breeze goes perfectly with a fresh cup of coffee.

'This view represents my childhood, home and love - my girlfriend lives right across the street.

'Usually, the evening is the best time to enjoy the view, especially during June when the Linden trees are in full bloom. The smell is incredible and it sweeps over the whole neighbourhood.'

Miami, Florida, United States

A woman named Melissa in Miami, Florida, loves the animals that inhabit the lake, which she can see from her apartment window.

However, she does admit that she fears that the iguanas may one day come to the other side of the fence, also visible from her window.

‹ SLIDE ME ›

A woman named Melissa in Miami, Florida, loves the animals that inhabit the lake, which she can see from her apartment window

With the view of one of the area's many lakes, a woman named Melissa is most intrigued by the many animals that live in and around the water.

'This morning, as I stood to take this photo, the air was fresh and Ms. Smith from next door was having her morning coffee under the tree which is home to a family of iguanas,' she explained.

'As the day progresses more iguanas will come down from the tree, but fortunately not many come on our side of the fence. I don't really like how close the iguana tree is, because I fear one may fall on me if I sit out there, even though it is probably unlikely.'

'I love the amount of animals that live in this lake,' she adds. 'There's a often a turtle just under the iguana tree, and as I look up a gaulin is snatching a fish and taking him away for his meal.'

Lahore, Pakistan 

Waqar, who lives in Lahore, Pakistan, revealed that he doesn't like the area he lives in, only staying there because he doesn't have another option.

He says that because his house is quite near a bustling market, it's always noisy.

‹ SLIDE ME ›

Waqar, who lives in Lahore, Pakistan, revealed that he doesn't like the area he lives in, only staying there because he doesn't have another option

But not everyone is as enthralled with what they see when they look outside of their home, especially Waqar, who lives in the Pakistani capital.

'I don't like this area much. I came here because I didn't have any other option,' he reveals alongside the photo. 'My apartment is situated in a mini market, which is semi residential, semi commercial area.

'From my window I see the top of a plaza which is still being developed, some houses, and minaret of a mosque. I can also see a burger shop sign.

'Being a market, this area is quite noisy, and I hear all sorts of voices and noises throughout the day. The scenery and sounds change at night.

'By 8pm shops start closing, and by midnight everything becomes peaceful. Except for a few street lights, the area becomes dark.

'This view does not make me think or feel anything good,' Waqar concludes. 'Sometimes I look outside just to have an idea of the weather and heat.'

Viña del Mar, Chile

A submitter called Mar, who was only in town for a few days, submitted this cityscape of Vina del Mar, Chile.

Although the view from this coastal Chilean city has the potential to be breathtaking, rows of high-rise buildings obstruct the view of the Pacific Ocean.

‹ SLIDE ME ›

A submitter called Mar, who was only in town for a few days, submitted this cityscape of Vina del Mar, Chile

Although the view from this coastal Chilean city has the potential to be breathtaking, rows of high-rise buildings separate this submitter, called Mar, from the Pacific Ocean.

'This is my first day in the city, and I am anxious to go out and see what it has to show me,' Mar writes.

'This will only be my home for a few days as we’re on the road at the moment. I hope for clear skies so we can enjoy the city tour we’ve booked. I cannot wait to get out there.

Nine hours later I am back, city tour completed. After a quick shower, I sit on the bed and watch the lights flick on in windows across the city as the dusk comes.'

Murray, Utah, United States

In the heart of the Salt Lake Valley, a woman living in the town of Murray, Utah, is close enough to the building opposite that she can see inside almost every window.

She also reveals that she can see flowers in the windows, hear people laughing and also smell

‹ SLIDE ME ›

In the heart of the Salt Lake Valley, a woman living in the town of Murray, Utah, is close enough to the building opposite that she can see inside almost every window

In the heart of the Salt Lake Valley in Utah lies the picturesque town of Murray, complete with dramatic mountains in the distance. Though you can see little evidence of the majestic mountain views from Danielle's vantage point.

'From my window, I can see into many others,' she explains alongside her submission.

'The building opposite is close enough that I can see there are flowers in almost every apartment window.

'At night, I can hear people laughing, and the sound of silverware on plates in the small cafe below. This sound combined with the twinkly lights makes me feel serene as the tempting aroma of their food wafts up to the open window.

'I can also hear a bell ringing in the nearby church and the sound of cars rushing by below. I love the activity and life on my street.'

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

A man in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, faces onto a busy main road, though he insists the urban sprawl makes him feel inspired and relaxed.

He particularly loves the shimmering light that enters their home in the evening.

‹ SLIDE ME ›

A man in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, faces onto a busy main road, though he insists the urban sprawl makes him feel inspired and relaxed

A man in Kuala Lumpur faces onto a main road in the city, taking in daily views of urban sprawl.

'It's very busy in the morning and evening, because all the workers use this road to reach their offices located in Shah Alam,' he said.

'My wife and I hate the noise from the cars, lorries and motorcycles, however, the sound disappears when we close the windows.

'The view from my window is very beautiful in the morning, and at night the light shimmers into our house from the outside, it makes me feel inspired and relaxed.'

Cochabamba, Bolivia

Veronica, who lives in Cochabamba, Bolivia, sent in a view of the bustling metropolis with picturesque mountain views in the distance.

As breathtaking as the view is during the day, she insists that it's even more spectacular in the evening when the wind picks up.

‹ SLIDE ME ›

Veronica, who lives in Cochabamba, Bolivia, sent in a view of the bustling metropolis with picturesque mountain views in the distance

A woman called Veronica, who lives in the central Bolivian city, near the Andes, submitted this spectacular view of the busting metropolis, as well as the mountains in the distance.

'When I was a little girl, this view was of trees and grass,' she wrote alongside it. 'But now I see house after house after house, and far away the buildings merge into each other.

'On the left, I can see Concordia's Christ, the biggest monument in my country.

'I can hear cars passing by, the wind, and little birds making noise on the roof. I smell the city, a mixture of pollution and soil.'

But it's in the evening that the city really shines. 'At sunset, the colours of the landscape look more beautiful than morning, and the wind picks up,' she added.

'This view makes me feel peaceful and I am happy to live here. I appreciate the landscape still, even with all the new houses and buildings.'

Uberlândia, Brazil

Guillaume sees daily evidence of his neighbourhood, in Uberlandia, Brazil, evolving, as buildings pop up and newcomers move in.

While he claims that the area is never quiet, he does find the evening to be quite relaxing, when the sunset illuminates the street.

‹ SLIDE ME ›

Guillaume sees daily evidence of his neighbourhood, in Uberlandia, Brazil, evolving, as buildings pop up and newcomers move in

Guillaume, who lives in southeastern Brazil, adores the view from his window, precisely because he can see evidence of the neighbourhood evolving.

'The large building has just been built, therefore we can see newcomers gradually settling in. Conversely, the backyard below my window is filled with chickens and ducks, so it’s often possible to see new chicks and ducklings, and to see them growing over time,' he said.

'This neighbourhood is never truly quiet, as no matter which part of the day it is you can hear traffic, the neighbours and chickens and dogs making all kind of noises.

'When I come back home by the end of the day, before sunset, the view is very relaxing, as the orange sun illuminates the street. The view at night is breathtaking, as the city lights shine in the night sky.'

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

From the 26th floor, an Abu Dhabi resident called Uros has a stunning view both during the day and in the evening when it lights up.

He describes the evening view as having a million colours and being 'New York-like.'

‹ SLIDE ME ›

From the 26th floor, an Abu Dhabi resident called Uros has a stunning view both during the day and in the evening when it lights up

Situated on the 26th floor of a 50-storey building, this Abu Dhabi resident has an incredible view of the sprawling city.

'It's not too high and not too low: just right,' Uros writes alongside the photos. 'I'm low enough that I can still see and hear everything going on in the street, and high enough that there is always a breeze on my balcony and there's no mosquitoes.

'From here I can look over the whole city. My window faces east and every morning I feel like I'm looking at the best scenery ever and it's never going to be any better than this.

'But then the night comes, and the view just pulls you in with a million colours and its New York-like soul. Sometimes I feel like I have a huge virtual reality screen and the scenery is changing just for me.'

Estarreja, Portugal

A man called Bruno in Estarreja, Portugal, faces onto the salt fields and nearby river walkway, where many people run and walk daily.

At night, he insists he can hear crickets and frogs and the peaceful view makes him very happy.

‹ SLIDE ME ›

A man called Bruno in Estarreja, Portugal, faces onto the salt fields and nearby river walkway, where many people run and walk daily

Bruno, whose home faces onto the salt fields, has a rather unique view of the nearby waterway in Estarreja, Portgual.

'My street is always windy and most of the time, it smells like the ocean,' he says. 'At the end of the street, there is a walkway that goes along the river where many people run and walk throughout the day.

'In the sky, I can see storks, seagulls, and during the day, I hear the swallows too.

'At night, I can hear the crickets and the frogs. This view always makes me feel happy because it's quiet and peaceful, it was actually one of the reasons I moved here. I love it.' 

Manila, Philippines

In Manila, Philippines, multi-coloured buildings are the norm, with resident Leandro describes it as an urban kaleidoscope.

In the evening, the colours are no longer quite so vivid.

‹ SLIDE ME ›

In Manila, Philippines, multi-coloured buildings are the norm, with resident Leandro describes it as an urban kaleidoscope

Multi-coloured buildings and brightly-hued rooftops are par for the course when gazing out at the buzzing city of Manila.

Leandro explains: 'From my window I can see the typical urban kaleidoscope of structures which are sprouting up in my area.

'Across the roofs of my neighbours, where cats frequently play at night, I see the tall, lean building which has recently been constructed. It’s the first of its kind to be erected in this area, but I am dead sure that a lot more will be constructed in the near future.

'I love taking comfort in this window after a long stressful day.

'During rainy reason I can hear the splatters of rain on the metal roofs which sometimes sound like a melody. At other times the sound of the rain reaches a crescendo, and then we know our streets are likely to flood.'

Kolkata, India

During the day, crows can be seen outside the old homes in Kolkata.

But by evening, it's more common to see dogs roaming the streets.

‹ SLIDE ME ›

During the day, crows can be seen outside the old homes in Kolkata, but by evening, it's more common to see dogs roaming the streets

In the morning, a barred window in the city of Kolkata, looks onto several birds making their way along the pavement - but by evening, they are long gone and roaming dogs have taken their place in the street.

'Crows patrol outside the century old house we call home - a home that we are about to lose,' Debapriya explains of the photograph. 'We have to sell because the maintenance costs are rising day by day.

'From my window, I can see the adjacent houses situated on the north side, I can hear my neighbours taking, the dogs barking, and there are birds that sing.

'But it smells of dogs, as there are nine dogs living in the gap between my house and the house next to mine.

'Whenever I am in this room, I can't help but think about my childhood because this is the room I used to share with my brother. I love everything about it, this secret window and the unique view.'

Glasgow, UK

A resident of Glasgow, Manali, admits to feeling disconnected and isolated from the tiny houses and roads visible from the window.

And at night, though the silence is peaceful, Manali wishes there was some activity around to ease the isolation.

‹ SLIDE ME ›

A resident of Glasgow, Manali, admits to feeling disconnected and isolated from the tiny houses and roads visible from the window

And in the UK, some residents of the Scottish city of Glasgow admit to feeling disconnected from the many people and vehicles constantly going about their business.

'I see tiny houses and roads around me throughout the day from a height,' Manali says. 'I feel as though I'm watching a silent movie.

'I love to spend my time near the window especially on a sunny day, but sunny days are few and far between here.

'As the sun sets, I can see lights flickering as though in a time lapse. As peaceful as it is, I miss waving a hand to a neighbour and hearing children play.

'At night as much as I love the silence, I wish I could sense some activity around to make me feel less isolated.

London, UK

A woman in London, who faces onto a concrete block of flats, reveals she's looking forward to the day when the ugly building is demolished and the nearby park will come into clear view.

She adds that when her balcony door is open, she can hear the hustle and bustle from the main road below.

‹ SLIDE ME ›

A woman in London, who faces onto a concrete block of flats, reveals she's looking forward to the day when the ugly building is demolished and the nearby park will come into clear view

A woman in London faces onto a relatively unremarkable concrete building, which is set to be demolished soon and replaced by a new block of flats.

'While I understand and can empathize with the housing crisis we have, there’s a selfish part of me that’s looking forward to not having to look out onto this rather ugly building and instead be able to see more of the beautiful park that's directly to the right of it,' Vicke explains.

'I have the great fortune (for London standards) of having an extremely large floor to ceiling window, with a door leading out on to the balcony.

'It's also east-facing, which means that on the days the sun does decide to come out in full-swing, brilliant light comes through in the mornings and afternoon.

'When the door's closed, I can't hear much, but when it's open in the summer, I hear all the hustle and bustle from the main road down below me.' 

 

   

No comments: